Degrees and Certifications:
Welcome! I have worked in McCormick School District for 26 years. I have an BS in Elementary Education from Lander University, a M.Ed. in Elementary Education from Lander University, and an Ed.S. in Administration and Supervision from Clemson University. I am also National Board Certified. I taught second grade for the first 6 years of my career. Then I became a LOOP teacher for 6 years where I taught 1st and 2nd grades to the same group of students. The next move was to the science lab where I taught for 2 years. At this time, Eleanor Rice was principal and moved me to the Literacy Coach position at McCormick Elementary School (MES) for 2 years. During a district restructuring, I was then the Instructional Leader for 3 years before being named Principal of MES. My journey now has me serving under Gena Wideman at McCormick Middle School as Instructional Coach. Middle school has been a new experience for me, but I love it! Working with students I also served in elementary school is exciting because I am seeing them mature and grow academically and socially.
As Instructional Coach, my responsibilities include:
- providing professional development for teachers on a weekly basis.
- leading teachers in analyzing classroom data and planning instruction based on the data.
- analyzing school-wide data.
- locating resources and materials for teachers.
- meeting with individual students about his/her personal data.
- serving as school testing coordinator for state and local assessments.
- conducting walk-throughs and formal observations on teachers.
- maintaining social media school page.
I believe in McCormick County and the potential of its students, which is why I have chosen to remain here throughout my career. Every decision made is based on the answer to one question – “What is best for our students?” My expectations for myself and others have revolved around 3 principles: 1) Teach your heart out every day! 2) Love them all even when they aren’t so lovable. 3) Keep them safe. She believes that if these 3 things are done, everything else will fall into place.
I have been blessed throughout my career to work with spectacular educators and students! I invite you to come visit us at McCormick Middle School and see the spectacular things we are doing!