Welcome to the Office of Special Services
Serving Students and Families
The Office of Special Services directs and supports the implementation of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) for students with disabilities ages 3 to 21. The office promotes evaluation, educational services, and programs for all students with special needs that will enable them to lead productive and independent lives.
- Every student with a disability can learn.
- Students with disabilities and their families are an integral part of every diverse learning community.
- Students with disabilities have the right to a quality education that maximizes their potential in the least restrictive environment.
- Every staff member has the responsibility to teach, support, and encourage all students with disabilities.
- Special education is a continuum of services, not a place.
McCormick County School District is committed to identifying and serving children ages 3 to 21 with disabilities. We offer developmental screenings for children as young as 2 1/2 and can begin services at age 3 for students with identified disabilities. You can refer your child for a screening if you suspect a disorder or delay in any area of development including speech or language development, vision, hearing, motor skills, cognitive development and social skills.
Child Find will be conducted throughout the school year. For further information and appointment scheduling, please contact Mrs. Jan Rushton at (864) 443-0137
Private School & Home-School Placements
McCormick County School District is committed to collaborating with parents and families that home-school their child(ren) and/or choose to place the child(ren) in a private school setting. This notice serves as an open invitation to meet and discuss the provisions of special education services that may be needed for students with disabilities in these settings. If you reside within the McCormick County School District attendance zone and wish to schedule a time to meet, please contact Dr. Lynn Dowis or Mrs. Jan Rushton as follows:
Dr. Lynn Dowis/email: email@example.com / phone: (864) 852-2435
Mrs. Jan Rushton/email: firstname.lastname@example.org / phone: (864) 443-0137